What is a DJ stent?
DJ stent is the short form for double “J’ stent. It is a small tube that is placed in the body from the Kidney to the Urinary bladder. It is kept for about six weeks. The lower portion which is in the Urinary bladder is shaped like a usual “J” while the upper portion is like a mirror image. The shape helps in retaining the stent in the body.
What does the DJ stent do?
- It maintains the Ureter open all the time.
- It has multiple holes and even if there is block in the path urine can travel through these holes and prevent back pressure changes and Kidney destruction.
- It helps the ureter dilate. The ureter or the passage from the Kidney to the urinary bladder enlarges to about two and a half to three times.
- It can flush the stones out of the Kidney. The person ’s movement especially during walking or running creates movement of urine in the Kidney that facilitates movement of the stone out of the Kidney.
- It helps the Kidney push out stones. The DJ stent is a foreign body and the body tries to push it out and these movements help the stones to come out.